- The FreeStyle Libre Pro is a glucose monitoring system intended to replace finger-stick tests; it uses a sensor implanted in the arm that a health care provider scans with a specialized reader for a record of glucose levels, trends, and patterns in people with diabetes.
- The available evidence suggests that the performance and accuracy of the FreeStyle Libre Pro system is comparable to conventional methods of glucose monitoring, that it may reduce periods of hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, and that it has high patient satisfaction.
- Although the FreeStyle Libre Pro system is approved for use in Canada, it is not yet commercially available here.
- Canadian pricing is not available, but cost-effectiveness analyses conducted in the UK and other European countries have concluded that it is cost-effective compared with the self-monitoring of blood glucose.
- A consumer version of the FreeStyle Libre Pro system intended for personal use by patients with diabetes is currently awaiting regulatory approval in the US.
Keywords: Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes, diabetes mellitus, continuous glucose monitoring, FreeStyle Libre